If you want to explore historic Hokianga, the beachfront accommodation at Opononi Lighthouse Motel is the ideal base. Perfectly located on the Twin Coast Discovery Highway, Hokianga is a comfortable drive north of Auckland, yet a world away from busy city life.
Take State Highway 12 up the scenic West Coast through Dargaville, and be prepared to slow down and experience the spirit of Hokianga, from the ancient kauri forests of Waipoua, through tiny coastal villages and across the harbour by ferry into hidden fertile valleys. And when you follow the hidden forest path to waterfall or wild ocean beach, or watch the sun set beyond the fire as you share the day’s catch, think of those generations down through time, who felt the same feelings of contentment. Life experiences, distilled and reduced to a rich vintage, all contribute to the authentic flavour of Hokianga.
Kupe, sailing over the edge when the world was flat, called this land “The spring of the world of light”. Today’s painters and photographers see it also. It is a factor in the special relationship between the people, their natural environment and their history.
Hokianga invites you to come and be part of it.
- Hokianga Tourism Association – tourism attractions, accommodation and food outlets in the Hokianga Harbour
- New Zealand Tourism Guide – a major New Zealand travel portal
- NZS.com – New Zealand search directory
- Wairere Boulders – unique tourism attraction
- Avatar Web Promotions – website design and marketing company